Friday 3 October 2008

ALWAYS RIGHT

As an individual with strongly held opinions, I occasionally find myself faced with the accusation: 'You think you are always right.'

If that was stated in a slightly different way, then I would wholeheartedly agree. Change the words round a little and you get: 'You always think you are right.'

There is a subtle difference. Yes, I do always think I am right. Doesn't everyone? If not, then why the hell are they saying what they are saying and not saying something else which they do think is right? Maybe I am wrong right now. But I think I am right. I find it hard to believe that there are a whole load of people who go around thinking that what they are about to say is wrong, but then they go ahead and say it anyway.

But saying that "I always think I am right' is not the same as saying 'I think I am always right'. I do not. A brief glance into the past tells me that there have been a number of times when I was not right. So if one assumes that trend is likely to continue, I will continue to be not right some of the time. I therefore do not think I am always right. If I did, I would take up gambling with great gusto.

No comments: