Friday 3 October 2008

ABSOLUTELY

If, like me, you sometimes find yourself engaged in a conversation with someone and your mind is elsewhere for one reason or another, one word is remarkably useful for preventing yourself from being a accused of the heinous crime of 'not listening'. The magic word is 'absolutely'. You can say 'absolutely' in response to pretty much anything that the other party is saying, and it will still make sense in the conversation. Give it a try next time you are in a really dull meeting with a work colleague, listening to one of your friends whine on about how their girlfriend just doesn't understand them, or have become a Member of Parliament and are trying to look like you care when being visited by members of the public at your constituency office. It pays to put somewhat different tone and emphasis on your 'absolutely' from time to time, but once you've cracked that, you should be good to go.

Grumpy Geoff: I'm just not happy. Something isn't right. She just doesn't understand me. You know?

Pete: Absolutely.

Grumpy Geoff: I mean, how hard can it be just to understand simple sentences? It's not like I'm hiding anything.

Pete: Absolutely

Grumpy Geoff: God knows I try, but some days it feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.

Pete: Absolutely

Grumpy Geoff: Want another pint?

Pete: Absolutely!!

No comments: